Well kids, it’s that time of year again. The time when you’re surrounded by family members you rarely ever see to eat way too much turkey and pumpkin pie all in the name of pilgrims and indians. Truth be told, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays mainly because there’s no pressure or pretense. You show up and show gratitude for all the blessings in your life. What’s not to love?
So in the spirit of the ole’ tradition of counting the blessings, I give you a list of what I’m thankful for this year…
- No Shave November, for making (most) men all the more attractive and manly-looking.
- I’m not Canadian so I don’t have to discuss Rob Ford, let alone see him on local news. Gross.
- Justin Timberlake touring the country in custom Tom Ford and yes ladies, he puts on A SHOW for over three hours with little more than a water break.
- Peppermint Joe-Joes, or as I call them, crack. Courtesy of Trader Joes. Stock up now and thank me later.
- Strong women who are the epitome of go-getters and lean in-ers, i.e. Mindy Khaling, Sheryl Sandberg, Malala, Kerry Washington and Zoey! Thank you for making it happen on the daily and inspiring us all to chase after our dreams while looking both amazing and approachable.
- Yoga. The one hour a week I am silent, present and bendable in all sorts of heart-opening positions.
- Mexican food. You know you were thinking it! Cheers to chips and salsa that never quits.
- Yeezus. Two reasons: entertainment value and for persuading Kim to wear clothes for a change. Also for crafting one of my favorite lyrics of all time: “I’m just trying to change the color on your mood ring.”
- Dry Shampoo.
- Great friends who keep my life interesting and full of laughter. And love. But mostly laughter. They keep me young and far from boring.
- Buzzfeed, because where else can you get that afternoon pick-me-up while making fun of grown-ups who are incapable of drawing a map of the US of A?
- The first date feeling. You know, before all the analytical thinking and real talk there’s the blissful anticipation and fairytale state of mind paired with a new outfit. Nothing better.
- Living in the South. I love that I don’t need a massive winter coat just yet, and that I can order sweet tea anywhere I go. Also, Southern gentlemen and the SEC. You are welcome.
- Ryan Gosling.
- (Paid) time off work. It’s in abundance this time of year so soak it all in, everybody!
- Caffeine to get us through these literally dark days of winter.
- Holiday parties that give us a reason to dress things up a bit and make it socially acceptable to eat assorted cheeses as your meal.
- The Wolf of Wall Street will be in theaters Christmas Day. YES.
- HGTV. How else would I learn how to re-grout a tub and flip a two-bedroom condo all in 27 minutes?
- Time spent with family and other loved ones while eating amazing food and watching football. God bless America.
What are you thankful for? Let’s hear it.